The most known methods to sprout your seeds and get your grow cycle going in no time. The best Marijuana Seeds selection, from the finest sativas until the most medicinal Indicas, discover them in Delicious Seeds. Germinate your marijuana seeds safely ✅ 100% EFFECTIVE ✅ All the steps to germinate your marijuana seeds ✌️ Guaranteed effectiveness ✌️
Germination Guide for Autoflowering Seeds
Seed germination is the first part of a successful grow cycle, to help you start your cannabis plants with the right foot, here’s an autoflower germination guide that can be used not only for cannabis but for tomatoes, mangos, strawberries. you name it!
Sebastian Good is talking about the best way to start your autoflower seed and germinates Strawberry Pie Auto.
So here’s how to germinate cannabis seeds with the best-known methods and a couple of tips that will get you harvesting in no time.
1. First Things First: Know the anatomy of your cannabis seed
The process of autoflower germination can take up to 10 days, in order to do everything correctly and know if everything’s going well, we need to know a little bit more about the seed. First of all, we need to understand the anatomy of a cannabis seed. The cannabis seed has a dark brown, hard, and often striped, shell, this shell is what protects the insides which are extremely fragile.
When germinating, we need to hydrate the seed, this will soften the seed’s shell and allow water to reach the embryo, when the water reaches it, the embryo will “activate” and start developing.
Have in mind that it’s possible to drown the seed, so we need to keep an eye on moisture levels, also making sure it doesn’t dry out. With a softened shell, it will be easier for the radicle to come out and this is when you’ll see the white taproot slowly appearing, and once it reaches 2-3cm, it’s time to plant it.
As soon as the seedling comes out of the medium, you’ll often see the shell stuck on top of the cotyledons, which are the tiny round leaves that you’re able to see once the shell has detached from the seedling. Those leaves are responsible for feeding the plant until the first set of true leaves appear. Also, there isn’t the best way to germinate marijuana seeds, you can do it any way you want, as long as you keep proper conditions, your seeds will germinate. So, if you’re wondering how do you germinate autoflowering seeds? Read along for the best methods.
2. The Best Conditions For Germinating Seeds
As you may know, cannabis plants need certain conditions depending on the stage they’re in, maintaining these conditions are the best way to ensure your plants will thrive, and when talking about seeds and germination, it’s no different.
Obviously, you can grow cannabis plants in less-than-ideal conditions and they will still grow but it may end up affecting the yields or quality of your harvest.
When talking about germinating auto seeds, germinating in less-than-ideal conditions will decrease the chances of sprouting, so unlike growing cannabis in bad conditions, which will still grow but can affect the harvest, germinating in bad conditions can end up killing your seeds. So when germinating autoflowers you should keep the temperature between 21-26°C and the humidity as close as 90% as you can.
3. Top Tricks For Germinating Old Seeds
As said above, germinating in the ideal conditions will guarantee successful germination but sometimes seeds may be old or have been kept in bad conditions and can be hard to germinate. So, to help you germinate old seeds, here are a couple of tricks that will increase the chances of germination. But first of all, you need to know the best conditions to avoid these problems.
How To Properly Store Seeds
If you are storing seeds for your next grow cycle, you need to keep them in ideal conditions. If you’re going to germinate them during the next couple of days there’s no need to do anything extra, other than keeping them in a cool place and in complete darkness but if you’re planning to store them for months or even years, you should keep them in the fridge.
You should keep your seeds in an airtight container in a fridge set at 6-8°C with a relative humidity of between 20-30%, if you can’t set your fridge to the temperatures mentioned, just keeping them in the fridge will increase the chances of germination. Just have in mind that the better the conditions, the longer your seeds with last.
Soak in supplemented water
As cannabis seeds get old, the shell hardens and can make it hard for the water to reach the embryo, and if the water doesn’t reach the embryo, your seeds won’t sprout so if you’re dealing with old seeds, you can soak them in supplemented water.
To do this, you can fill a glass cup with water and add around 30ml of hydrogen peroxide and leave your seeds soaking for 12hs, this should do the trick. You can also use germination boosters that you find in grow shops but usually, hydrogen peroxide works, also, make sure the water is around 22°C and it’s not getting direct sunlight.
Scarification is a method used to make ridges on the seed to help water pass through, to do this properly, you will need a piece of sandpaper but you can improvise and do it with a matchbox. The goal is to thin out the shell so that the water can reach the embryo easily, just make sure you don’t overdo it and end up harming the embryo inside.
Slightly Open The Seed
As you may have seen, the seed is made out of two halves and has a ridge around it, if your seeds are old, that ridge may end up hardening too much and the seed won’t sprout. So to help your weed seed germinate, you can use a knife or any other tool with a thin point to gently insert it in between the ridges and slightly separate it, after this process, you can soak your water and germinate it like you normally would.
4. Paper Towel Germination Method
The paper towel method is the easiest of all methods. You’ll need :
- 2 paper towels
- a plastic container or plates
Moisten the paper towels and wring them out so they’re damp but not completely wet.
Place the seeds on the paper towel, fold it over the seeds and place it in a plastic container, cover it with the lid to keep moisture in (can also use two plates instead of the plastic container, place the paper towel on a plate and use the other one to cover).
Place the container in a slightly warm and dark place. Remember to check on it daily, we must ensure the paper towels never dry out, the seeds need to keep absorbing moisture, it’s likely that the seeds will never germinate if they don’t. Sprinkle a little bit of water if needed, you’ll know they’re ready to be transplanted when the radicle is around 1-3cm long.
If the paper towel starts having a bad smell, it’s a sign of too much water, let it dry for a couple of days, and if the papers continue smelling bad, change the paper towels.
5. Soaking Overnight In A Glass Of Water
After many years of experimenting and looking for the best way to germinate our Fast Buds seeds, we must say that this is definitely one of the most effective ways.
This method is especially effective for seeds with a harder shell or older seeds. You’ll need:
As the title says, grab a glass cup and fill it half with water.
Place the seeds in the glass and leave it in a dark place, let the seeds soak for up to 32 hours.
Most viable seeds will sink after a couple of hours and you should see the radicle after a couple of days. Remember that some seeds may need longer until you see the radicle coming out. If they haven’t sprouted after 72 hours, add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to kill accumulated bacteria in the water and return to the darkness for 2 more days.
6. Using A Germination Chamber
When you get a bit more experienced, you’ll wanna look for more professional tools and the germination chamber is one of them. It consists of a plastic base with small square cells (can come with up to 256 cells, each cell supports 1 seed), on top of a heat mat, also comes with a humidity dome, basically looks like a small greenhouse. They’re very cheap and you can make one at home.
The chamber can be used with any type of medium, Rockwool cubes, peat pellets, coco fiber, perlite, or even soil and they keep the best environment for sprouting seeds and the first days of the seedling.So how to germinate a marijuana seed in a germination chamber? To start germinating, make a small hole (1-2 cm) in moisten medium, cover without applying pressure, turn on the heat mat and spray the humidity dome, it should take a couple of days to see the seedling coming out.
7. Rockwool Cubes And Peat Pellets
Rockwool cubes are small cubes made of rock and sand fibers, with the consistency of cotton candy almost, they absorb a lot of water and usually are used for germinating seeds and clones. Using them along with the germinating chamber has an advantage, being easy to transplant to the next medium or container.
Rockwool and peat pellets are an easy way to germinate seeds but can be easier to overwater your seeds.
They also can be used along with clay pellets in hydroponics. One of the bad aspects of Rockwool cubes is you can easily overwater and get root rot. Peat pellets are similar to the Rockwool cubes but are made of compressed peat moss and come in a small disc shape. To germinate in either one of them, we will use the same technique explained before, moisten the Rockwool or peat pellet, make a little hole (1-2cm) and place the seed inside, cover it gently without applying pressure and you’re all done. You can place the pellet or cube directly in any type of medium or hydroponics chamber, after sprouting, the roots will continue to grow down, even if they reach the end of the Rockwool or peat pellet.
8. Planting Directly In Medium
Sometimes the simplest way is the better way. As it happens in nature, we can also sprout our seeds in our medium of your preference (coco, soil, perlite, etc..) Just grab a pencil, or even with your fingers, make a little hole (1-2cm deep), and place the seed in it, the medium must be moist but not soaking, then cover with soil without applying pressure.
Every time you transplant a seedling, it needs some time to readjust and can cause stress, thus one of the biggest benefits of this method is you don’t have to worry about damaging your seedling when transplanting or shocking it because it already is in its final place.
9. Top Tips to Improve Seed Germination
Planting the Seeds Correctly
Cannabis seeds have an oval shape with one of the ends being sharper while the other has an indent known as the crown. When germinating cannabis seeds, it’s recommended to plant the seed with the crown pointing upwards as this is the end where the cotyledons usually come out from.
Don’t Let the Substrate Dry Out
The germination process relies on moisture to activate the biological processes that provide the energy the seedling needs to break through the seed shell and start growing. This means that the more moisture absorbed, the better. Note that the keyword here is moisture, you definitely don’t want to drown your seeds. Anyway, once the seed is in the paper towels and the germination process has begun, make sure to check regularly to ensure it’s still moist, and to help with this, it’s recommended you keep it in a warm damp place.
For better germination rates, you can opt for a heating mat and/or germination chambers, but it really doesn’t matter if you’re germination your seeds in the soil, jiffy’s, Rockwool cubes, paper towels, etc… Make sure to keep the substrate moist and you will have great results.
Planting the Seed at the Right Depth
One of the bigger issues among beginner growers is planting the seed at the right depth. These problems can get worse if you are watering the substrate after the seeds are planted. Remember, burying the seed too deep can cause it to not develop while not burying deep enough can cause the taproot to over-bend and develop a weak stem, and sometimes stunt growth.
This is why we recommend burying the seed at around 2 cm deep. You can do this by using a ruler, marking the 2 cm mark on a straw, or any other utensil that allows you to do this. Then plant your seed and cover it with the substrate without pressing too hard.
Avoid Planting several Seeds in the Same Pot
Sometimes you may not have enough substrate or pots, typically, this is when you would plant multiple seeds in the same container but they usually do not develop correctly due to several reasons. Now yes, you’re saving space and substrate but you’re definitely not helping your plants thrive as first of all, the roots need enough space to grow, and germinating in the same pot can cause the roots to fight for space.
Apart from fighting for space, if all the seedlings make it to the vegetative stage, they will continue competing for light and by doing this, you will not get the most out of each plant. Lack of light can also cause the stem and branches to grow weak which can cause problems during flower so make sure to plant one seed per pot unless you’re growing in 100-200L or bigger raised beds.
10. In Conclusion
There’s no such thing as the best way to germinate marijuana seeds, a successful germination is considered when you see the first leaves, known as Cotyledons, cannabis seeds germinate correctly with relatively high temperatures and humidity. To successfully reach the flowering stage you’ll have to use different techniques, not only for sprouting but to keep the plant happy and healthy until harvest.
Whether deciding which germination method to choose or getting ready for your first successful grow setup, our advice for beginner growers will be to start with autoflowering strains. If you look for something easy, quick, and easy to maintain, like Zkittlez Auto and Gorilla Glue Auto, there’s nothing better than choosing to grow autoflowers.
first time ever growing and got some amazing colors from this strain with low temps ran it at about 58-64 for 2 weeks and got this color
How to germinate with the paper towel method
Daily we reveive the questions like “what is the best way to germinate” or “how do I start germinating”, We know this is for lots of people not an easy thing said…. So we tought to make it as a subject in the next weeks
First of all we want to say there are really a lot of ways to germinate seeds and each one definitely has his/her best way for a 100% succeed …
Germinating with Kitchen paper and tupper
This is a pretty easy way to do it, you only need a vacuum closeable tupper or what you can find in the kitchen to keep things vacuum, then you take the kitchen paper and you fill the bottom of the tupper with a layer of the paper, then you spray the layer with water from around 23 degrees Celcius until it is wet but not soaken wet .Then you take the seeds and put them slowly and careful on the wet layer with each a good distance between the seeds so they can´t get strangled .then you put another layer of kitchen paper above the seeds so they all are covered and then you also spray this layer wet, but again not to wet (this all to avoid rotten or mold) .You close the tupper and you put it in a total dark place with a temperature around 21 to 24 degrees Celcius.In around 36 to 72 hours you will see the seeds are popped and they can go in to soil for further rooting and growth .
Under here we show you a video tutorial how to do it .
Thanks for watching and if you doubt about something or you have questions don´t hazer to contact us
Germinating seeds safely
You can find different methods to germinate seeds of marijuana of sure form, but the primordial thing to consider is the temperature of the place where they are going to germinate, since the ambient temperature is what is going to guarantee the success of a harvest, since so much by excess or by defect, your varieties of marijuana can suffer the variations, therefore the best thing is to contribute a stable environment, watching that the seeds are between the 26ºC and 27ºC.
To germinate seeds of marijuana securely, put to soak your seeds of marijuana a few hours before, and in a tupper, places a base of wet napkins, without they get to soak, distribute the seeds above and cover them with other napkins in the same way. Close the tupper and place it on a heat source that does not become very high, an electronic device for example, and that does not receive much light. After a day or two, when you see that the root begins to emerge, you can pass them very carefully to a small pot.
For your seed plantation to be effective, you have to follow a series of steps, obviously, as with all plants, you have to provide them with water, to which you can add oxygenated water, which has anti-fungal properties and helps the water have more oxygen. Then you have to decide where you want the germination to take place, and make sure that the environment and temperature of the place is the right one
⭐ How to germinate marijuana seeds in an easy and homemade way?
A very easy and useful process, is to put the seeds in a glass of water and let them rest until you see that the root begins to come out, when this happens and very carefully, you can transplant them without introducing them very deep into the ground, allowing them to come to light.
How to germinate marijuana seeds in propagators?
- There are some discs of pressed peat where the seeds can be germinated and it is one of the most used means.
- In first place it is necessary to moisten the seeds in water, better if it is bottled, because the one of the tap contains lime that can spoil the seeds and let rest in a dark place during 48 – 72 hours until they throw the root.
- Hydrate the germinators with mineral water and wait for them to swell, then make a small hole and put the root, leaving the head of the seed flush..
- To maintain the humidified seeds, to a temperature of between 21ºc and 23ºC and under a powerful light..
- To germinate seeds of marijuana in flowerpot, is another of the methods used at the time of germinating your roots, since it makes that the phenomenon known as gravitropismo takes place, that makes that in addition to growing to a more accelerated rhythm, causes the basipetal growth of the roots and that the leaves of the plant grow upwards
- Leave the seeds to soak for at least 12 hours to properly hydrate the shell and sterilize the soil with quality substrates such as worm humus.
- You should put one seed per pot, so that they do not get in the way, moisten the soil and introduce the roots. Leave the pots in a warm and dark place until you see that the plant begins to emerge, at which point you can place it in the light..
- A very habitual practice between the Cannalovers, it is to conserve seeds of marijuana, in a box of conservation like for example the Box 00 Box, and later passed a time to germinate them, they are the known commonly as “old marijuana”, but it is necessary to take into account certain aspects before you begin the culture.
- If you’ve been careful about saving the seeds, you shouldn’t have any problems. I always use the 00 Box, which, with its humidity control, provides an unparalleled conservation habitat.
- -You will also have more options to germinate if the seeds do not have more than a year and a half, from that time, the shell is hardening and the chances of the root coming out dive.
In this video you can see how one of our experts gives you some basic tips on how to germinate your marijuana seeds
When is the best time to germinate marijuana seeds?
The best time to germinate marijuana seeds is spring. The temperature is warm but without being exaggerated, avoiding that your plants suffer an excess of light and heat that spoils them. In spite of it, if we have precaution, we can germinate seeds throughout the year.
Time of germination of seeds of marijuana
The time of germination of the seeds of marijuana, can be faster or less. It varies in function of many aspects, temperature, environment, genetics and age of the seed, method that you use for the germination, humidity, light, etc.
The seeds of marijuana can take to germinate, between 2 or 10 days, alone you must have patience and to watch that the conditions of the seed are the suitable ones, see, it is humidified and in a dark place.
✨ What are the different ways to germinate? Which is the best?
First, I’m going to do a review of the basic conditions that we must meet before we begin to germinate your marijuana seeds. The first condition to take into account to germinate your marijuana seeds, is to provide humidity, that is to say, water. This can come from the tap as long as its EC does not surpass 1, in addition its PH will have to be placed in a value near the 6, with a suitable temperature of approximately 22 degrees.
Later you must choose the method with which you want to germinate your seeds, which can be:
– To germinate seeds of marijuana by means of Jiffy o or Presses of Peat.
They are dehydrated and pressed peat tablets, are left to soak until they become a bag full of substrate. There are different sizes and coconut fiber instead of peat, and its main characteristic is that it retains a large amount of water, so during germination you should not water again.
– To germinate seeds of cannabis by means of Cubes of Wool of Rock.
If you opt for a hydroponic cultivation, no doubt germinate marijuana seeds in cubes of rock wool, is your best option, as they do not dirty the cultivation system and the seeds germinate very fast with this method. It dries very quickly, so you will have to constantly monitor the humidity.
– To germinate seeds of cannabis with Napkins of Paper.
This system is the most used by all to germinate marijuana seeds, especially because it is the cheapest and simplest. It simply consists of placing kitchen paper on a container such as a plate and humidify it, the more kitchen paper you put, the greater the humidity will be retained and less will have to hydrate later.
Once moistened, the seeds are placed on top and covered with another plate leaving space between them so that the seed breathes well. You have to keep in mind, that never ever the paper dries, so you have to be aware of the humidity.
– Germinate marijuana seeds with Propagation Tacos Rootit
The Rootit propagation blocks are like small sponges so that the seed takes root well. They are totally biodegradable. Their use is similar to rock wool taco.
How to germinate marijuana seeds in soil?
Germinate marijuana seeds in soil, is the method most used by the vast majority of growers, especially among growers who are not professionally engaged in growing cannabis. I am going to give you a series of advices and indications, so that you can germinate your seeds of marijuana in ground, without making mistakes and is everything a success.
- Control the PH of the water and of the earth, with specific apparatuses for the measurement of the PH.
- Prepare all the material before starting, Don’t forget anything! You must have all the fertilizers and fertilizers you will need prepared.
- Analyze your climate and the characteristics of your seeds, it is very important that you choose well. Because, you must know perfectly the characteristics of your seed, in order to get the best out of it.
If you use mother earth to germinate your marijuana seeds, you will obtain many better results, and if you place it in the zone of the suitable garden where it receives the hours of light that they need to grow strong and healthy, you will obtain a much greater productivity.
The most commonly used method of germinating is soil.
How to germinate with coconut fiber?
Germinating marijuana seeds with coconut fiber, is very effective thanks to the oxygenation capacity of the coconut, which helps a lot to the development of the roots, getting to obtain a 90% germination level. We are going to go step by step:
- It works well the coconut fiber with the hands, so that not even a single compaction remains, to later place it in the flowerpot where we are going to make the germination.
- Hydrate the coconut fibre very well, with quality water.
- Once well hydrated, make a hole of no more than 1 cm to place the seed.
- Cover the seed well, and add a couple of drops of water.
Now simply maintain a good hydration and stable temperature, leaving nature to run its course. The fundamental advantages of coconut substrate, is that they allow a greater root growth than other types of substrates, and collect moisture very well, your seeds will grow and become larger plants and therefore with higher levels of productivity.
How to germinate with jiffys?
To germinate seeds of cannabis with Jiffys is one of the most effective methods, and with more rate of success of all. The Jiffys or pressed peat are some germinators that are introduced in a hermetic receptacle and they are humidified until they reach their complete size, next a small hole is made in the center and the root of the seed is introduced that previously we will have left in soak during 24 hours in a glass of mineral water, that contains a PH of 6,5 to a temperature of approximately 20 degrees. This step is not essential, but it helps the seed to open more easily afterwards.
Then we must cover the container and let it rest in a dark place and at a warm temperature.
Jiffy or Peat Presses retains a large amount of water
Toilet paper, napkins?
Without a doubt, to germinate seeds of marijuana in hygienic paper will not be possible, since the hygienic paper is designed to dissolve to the contact with the water and not to block the pipes of house, whereas the kitchen paper, is designed to absorb the greater amount of water possible, and this is what will cause that your seeds of marijuana germinate correctly..
Ah! I forgot, always bear in mind when you start the germination of your marijuana seeds with blotting paper, place 30% more of the seeds you want to germinate, because these methods are not infallible and some may not germinate.
Do we use a tupper?
The answer is yes! germinate marijuana seeds in a tupper, it will help you to conserve the humidity of the napkins where we have placed the seeds and in addition it will maintain safe in an environment where the temperature can be controlled much better than if you use a plate. In winter remember that it will be ideal, if you place the tupper on top of the TV, and you will get a pleasant interior temperature of about 20 degrees.
How to germinate with alcohol?
The use of alcohol to germinate marijuana seeds, can lead to the seeds die or burn, it is much better method to use oxygenated water where we will soak them, this will provide the seeds more nutrients and oxygen and will help in their growth
How to germinate in cotton?
To germinate your seeds of marijuana in cotton, has a procedure that is basically the same as in humid napkins, the only difference is that it is not necessary to cover the seeds above with another layer of humidified cotton, of this way, although they are in a closed receptacle, it is not necessary to open it neither to remove the layer of above to see if the roots of our plants have begun to leave, which is more favorable at the moment of allowing them to sprout.
To germinate with light or without light?
To germinate your marijuana seeds, it is necessary that they are in the dark, and once the roots have begun to sprout it is time to finish the process of germination of your marijuana seeds placing your plants under the light of the sun or under the focuses of your indoor culture, but until then, the plantation must remain in a closed and covered container and in a dark and humid place.
To germinate your marijuana seeds, it is necessary that they are in the dark
How to germinate with water?
Another of the methods to germinate your marijuana seeds, is using a glass of water, much more comfortable and easy to manipulate that to germinate your marijuana seeds in plate. You must place it in a temperate and dark place between 20-22 degrees, adjusting the PH of the water between 6,0 and 6,5 and later the seeds are sowed. You will have to change this water every 24 hours, or to throw a drop of oxygenated water to avoid that it rots
During the initial process of the germination of your seeds of marijuana in jar with water, these will float on the same one, but as soon as they begin to open between 24 and 72 hours, they will precipitate to the bottom. Once it has appeared already the root, it takes out of the water the cotton or the napkins, and plant them in the flowerpot to a depth of 0,5 to 1 cm.
Remember, that to germinate your seeds of marijuana in water, it is necessary that you use mineral water, although if the water of the faucet of your zone fulfills the requirements of PH you can use it also, but for quality I remain with the mineral water.
Why use hydrogen peroxide?
Using hydrogen peroxide in the process of germination of your cannabis seeds, brings benefits widely demonstrated and I’m going to detail. In the first place, in the case of opting for a germination of your seeds with water in jar, to contribute a drop of oxygenated water to him, avoids that the water rots, and it is necessary to change it every 24 hours. It also eliminates fungi and bacteria thanks to its anti-fungal properties, if you choose to pour water from the tap.
Adding a drop of hydrogen peroxide eliminates fungus and bacteria.
How to germinate with autoflowering seeds?
The autoflowering seeds, are the most cultivated varieties of the moment, especially for the short periods of flowering, and the strength that they present in front of their feminized sisters, and in times in which speed and time dominates our lives, they are acquiring an important notoriety.
Their germination process is identical to that of feminised or regular seeds, so you won’t have to do anything different.
✅ How to germinate marijuana seeds fast step by step
Below we are going to see a daily monitoring of the germination of marijuana seeds between napkins, since from our point of view it is the fastest and safest way. Let’s see a couple of tricks that speed up the process and greatly increase the chances of success:
- We recommend germinating the seeds inside a heated propagator or greenhouse, if possible with a temperature of around 25º C. (This is a slightly higher temperature than recommended, but this accelerates the activation of the germ) and a humidity around 90%.
- We place a plate inside the greenhouse, put a napkin or kitchen paper on top of the plate, put the seeds on the napkin (Separated at least 2 cm between them so that the roots do not get entangled)
- We put another napkin on the seeds and now we have to moisten the whole with a nutrient solution that contains water, root stimulator, and 2 drops of hydrogen peroxide. (It can be moistened with water only, but this mixture accelerates germination and hydrogen peroxide also acts as a disinfectant) Moistening does not mean soaking, in the case of excessive humidity, the ideal would be to wring the napkins a little.
- We close the propagator or greenhouse with its lid and leave its openings or windows closed to maintain humidity and heat, we introduce a thermo-hygrometer or its probe, and we plug the cable into the network to activate the heating.
- From this moment the germination phase of the seeds begins, and you will say, How long does it take for a marijuana seed to germinate? It can last between 2 and 10 days, but as a general rule commercial seeds usually need between 3 and 6 days. It is recommended to open the greenhouse every day to check the condition of the seeds, and in passing we will check the humidity of the napkins in case it is necessary to moisten again.
- Day 1: After approximately 24 hours we can open the greenhouse and carefully separate the napkin located at the top, and I say carefully because some seeds may stick or fall. The first day of the germination phase, as a general rule, hardly any changes will be seen, but if you look closely, some seeds will have acquired a darker tone, it is the sign that they are beginning to hydrate. Other seeds will look exactly the same as before they were put to germinate, because the shell that covers them can be different thicknesses, and those that are very thick take more time for moisture to penetrate.
- Day 2: We opened the greenhouse and the whole to check the condition of the seeds, and the normal thing will be that those seeds that had not begun to hydrate, now look darker, and those that looked darker yesterday, today will be a little bigger, and if you look closely you will see that they start to open a little. The seeds have an oval shape, and if you look at their ends you will see that one of them ends up in a more pointed shape than the other, and that’s where they start to open.
- Day 3: When you open the greenhouse you may notice less humidity than the previous days, and you may have to moisten the napkins. Keep in mind that by maintaining a moderately high temperature (approx. 25º C) the humidity evaporates more easily, but it is really worth it because you can save several days of germination. Those seeds that had begun to open yesterday, today already show the tip of the primary root showing, and you have 2 options, sow them in the substrate now or wait for more roots to show. The writer of this likes to wait until at least 1 cm of root is visible to pass it to the substrate, but there are also people who prefer to wait until they see 2 cm or more. It is advisable to take the seeds with tweezers without touching the root, and remember that the seeds are buried in the substrate with the root facing downwards, at a depth of between half a cm and approximately 2 cm, and it is recommended to water with root stimulator and microlife without soaking the substrate. The seeds that yesterday had barely begun to hydrate, today we can see them larger and already opening, so we leave them germinating, close everything and continue waiting.
- Day 4: We reopen everything to see the state of the seeds, and at this time the most normal thing is that all of them have already hydrated, and those that have not done so may never do so. The small ones usually germinate before the big ones, especially because of the thickness of their shell. If you have large seeds that after 4 or 5 days of germination continue without signs of hydration, you can try a trick that helps in these cases, which is to crack the seedwith your teeth as is usually done to open a sunflower seed. The seeds that have already taken root can be sown just like we did with the first ones, and the first few days in the substrate it is advisable to keep the humidity between 80% and 90%, so it may be a good idea to put the pots in the same greenhouse.
- Day 5: The germinated seeds that we planted in the ground 2 days ago begin to sprout from the ground showing their cotyledons, and from this moment it is crucial to put them under light so that they do not sprout. The ideal is that the first day the light is located at a distance of about 1 meter, the second day at 60 or 70 cm, and from the third we will bring the light source as close as possible as long as it does not exceed 24 or 25º C. We check the state of the napkins to make sure they are not dry or too wet, and we look at the seeds to sow those that have already taken root. Some seeds never germinate, since their viability depends on many factors such as age, conservation, germination method, or even the genetics of the plants, since degeneration influences germination power.
- Day 6: The seedlings that have sprouted from the substrate will be watered with root stimulator and microlife every day or every 2 days, carefully moistening the substrate around the stem but without wetting the entire surface of the pot. Like every day, the germinated seeds that can be transplanted into the substrate are sown, and the rest are left to germinate. We review the data to verify that the humidity and temperature continue in the ideal parameters.
- Day 7: If there are seeds that have not shown signs of hydration, it is very possible that they are not viable and will no longer germinate, because in some cases the embryo stops being dormant due to different problems. However, you can keep trying for a few more days, but as I said before, the vast majority of commercial marijuana seeds need between 3 and 6 days to germinate correctly. Normally, after 7 days this phase can be concluded, since most of the seeds will have germinated and will already be growing, so it is possible to move on to the vegetative growth phase.
Is there any difference according to the strain?
The germination of seeds of marijuana, is the same independently of the race, it will only vary the period of germination that has each variety, but the processes or methods of germination, are all universal, although some of them as we have seen above, they are specially indicated for certain type of culture, because it is where greater yield obtains.
How to use the lunar calendar to germinate my seeds?
For thousands of years the human being, used the different phases of the moon, for agriculture, and today the lunar calendar, is very important to be able to get the highest possible yield from your cannabis plants.
The phases of the moon can exercise a different force based on its position, in many aspects of life, including the cultivation of marijuana and all its stages, including the germination of cannabis seeds
The ideal lunar phase to germinate your marijuana seeds according to the lunar calendar, is the Fourth Increasing phase. During this stage the moon increases the power of its rays, to which the plants respond with increased foliage and root. The end of this stage is the perfect one to germinate your seeds, thus you will begin to plant it the first day of full moon.
We have an application of the lunar calendar that you can download HERE. With it you will know which is the best time to germinate and perform any action related to the crop
⛳ What to do if our seeds do not germinate?
If your seeds do not germinate, it can be the result of several badly executed actions, such as abusively moistening the seeds, or having the temperature above or below what is necessary. It is also possible that the seeds used were not prepared for planting. When these cases occur, we must start again with other seeds.
Remember that if you buy them at PevGrow, we guarantee germination (here more information). If they do not germinate and you have used a suitable method, simply return them to us in the original package and we will replace them immediately.
What to do after germinating?
When your marijuana plant has already germinated, you must pass it already to plantation. Be patient, because during the first week you will see practically no progress, but from then on, the events shoot at a crazy speed.
Is there a difference between winter and summer?
Evidently yes, to germinate your seeds of marijuana in summer, is the logical thing especially if you opt for a culture of outside, since the seeds of marijuana need to have a warm climate and a good dose of solar light, to be able to grow strong and vigorous.
It is always more advisable to start planting well into spring, as temperatures are ideal for the seeds to grab and can deliver their best version.
Also exists the possibility of germinating your seeds of marijuana in winter but for it they are necessary the greenhouses, or that during this epoch, you opt for cultivating your seeds of marijuana in cultures of interior.
All these rooting systems can be purchased in your trusted Grow shop and do your own tests to see which method works best for you personally, since as we have indicated only three of the forms of germination of cannabis seeds … and as they say out there, “every teacher has his booklet”. ?
If you liked this article, share in social networks and I will be eternally grateful! We keep growing!
Also in the comments, you can share opinions and doubts that our cannabis experts will be happy to solve. Grow Cannalovers!