How to Make an Alcoholic Cannabis Drink with Decarbed Weed
This Cold-Busting Weed Elixir, with honey and vodka, will set you straight in no time.
To make a functioning edible you need decarboxylated cannabis, which is a very un-sexy way to say cannabis that’s been pre-heated to activate all the psychoactive properties. The THC in your stuff won’t do shit for you in a brownie or butter unless you decarb it. But once it’s decarbed—go wild.
Or, instead of going wild, calm down with a cannabis drink. This one comes courtesy of L.A. journalist Michelle Lhooq, whose new book Weed: Everything You Want to Know But Are Always Too Stoned to Ask covers everything from blunts, bongs, and dabs to high dining and DIY cannabis cultivation. (Yes, it comes out on 4/20.) Lhooq’s drink recipe is for a Cold-Busting Weed Elixir with vodka and cannabis.
As Lhooq says, dispensaries don’t mix alcohol with cannabis to avoid cross-fading (and a lot of government regulations), but it’s not unheard of to make weed drinks. “In recent years, their popularity has started to take off, thanks to the collective realization that drinking cannabis gets you stoned faster than eating it does,” she writes. And with this recipe, plus instructions on how to decarb your weed, you can experiment at home. So cure what ails you—be it allergies, bad weather, or Game of Thrones anxiety—with a hot, honeyed tonic with just enough weed and vodka to set you right. But, you know, exercise caution.
With this recipe for a Cold-Busting Weed Elixir, with decarbed cannabis, vodka, and honey, lets you experiment with weed drinks at home.
Cannabis-Infused Vodka, 2 Simple Ways To Make It
Infusing alcohol with cannabis is super easy. In this article, we’ll show you two simple ways to make cannabis-infused vodka. And remember, you can use either recipe to infuse any other type of spirit too.
Looking to combine vodka (or any spirit) with your favourite strain of cannabis? Well, look no further. Below are two simple ways to make cannabis-infused vodka in just a few steps.
HOW TO MAKE CANNABIS VODKA
This first method is super simple and just involves steeping cannabis in vodka for a couple of hours while closely monitoring the temperature. Remember, alcohol begins to evaporate at around 80ºC, so make sure to keep your heat nice and low for this recipe.
- 250ml vodka (or any other spirit of choice)
- 1–3g of cannabis (both dried and fresh cannabis work great)
- Double boiler
- Set up your double boiler on the lowest possible heat setting while you organise the ingredients.
- Prepare your cannabis by grinding/chopping it to a medium consistency and wrapping it in cheesecloth to make a small package. Remember that you can use either dry or fresh cannabis for this recipe. If you want your vodka to produce strong psychoactive effects, make sure to use dry, decarboxylated cannabis. Using fresh cannabis won’t give the vodka the same psychoactive effects, but will give it a nice colour and flavour profile.
- Pour your vodka into the double boiler, then add your cannabis package and let it infuse for roughly 2–3 hours. Use a thermometer to ensure the temperature of the vodka doesn’t rise above 60ºC. For a more concentrated product, feel free to let the alcohol infuse for longer, just remember that you’ll risk cooking off some of the alcohol.
- Remove the cannabis from your vodka, then pour it into a glass container. Wait for the liquid to cool before sealing it, then store in a cool, dark place. If you want a clearer final product, strain the vodka through a coffee filter.
This second method makes a delicious honey-flavoured vodka using cannabis-infused honey. To make the honey, you’ll need to first extract the cannabinoids and terpenes from the cannabis using coconut oil, then blend the oil together with the honey. Remember to use low temperatures during this extraction to avoid burning off any cannabinoids/terpenes.
- 2g dried, decarboxylated cannabis buds
- 150g honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 500ml vodka
- 1 mason jar
- Saucepan with simmering water (water bath)
- Start by making your cannabis honey. To do so, grind your cannabis to a medium consistency, and place it into a mason jar together with the coconut oil. Make sure you’re using decarboxylated cannabis to ensure your honey has psychoactive effects.
- Seal the mason jar and place it in the water bath. Let it sit on low heat for roughly two hours to extract the cannabis into the oil.
- Once the extraction has finished, strain the oil through cheesecloth to remove the pieces of cannabis flower. Remember to lightly squeeze out any remaining liquid from the cloth.
- Add the infused oil to your honey and mix together.
- Add the vodka, and mix until everything is fully combined.
- Pour the vodka into a bottle, seal, and enjoy whenever you need a sweet pick-me-up!
A NOTE ON MIXING CANNABIS WITH ALCOHOL
Mixing alcohol and cannabis is really common, but it’s important to note that it can have negative effects. Combining the two drugs can enhance both the feelings of being drunk and being high, and can lead to nausea, dizziness, impaired motor skills, and vomiting.
One study shows that drinking alcohol after consuming cannabis can increase THC concentration in the blood. This suggests that alcohol can enhance the psychoactive properties of cannabis. This could be due to the fact that alcohol causes vasodilation and increases blood flow, possibly allowing more THC to cross from the alveoli in the lungs.
Some studies also suggest that cannabis can actually help protect against some of the toxic effects of alcohol, including neurotoxicity, as well as reducing oxidative stress in the liver after excessive drinking.
If you choose to mix cannabis with alcohol, that’s perfectly fine. After all, most people do. Just remember to take it easy, and pay extra attention to your body’s reaction to the combination of drugs.
Looking for a simple way to combine cannabis with your favourite spirit? Follow the link! Here are two simple recipes for cannabis-infused vodka.