What Is A Steamroller Pipe And Why Should You Use One?
Once your lungs are familiar with joint hits and bong bowls, it’s time to level-up to streamroller pipes. These devices deliver massive hits of THC straight into the bloodstream.
Everything about cannabis is complex. There are thousands of strains, dozens of cannabinoids, and countless ways to enjoy the herb. Innovation over the last few decades has led to high-tech methods of inhaling cannabis, from vaporization to dabbing. However, many smokers still prefer the more primitive methods of getting stoned. One of the oldest ways to saturate the bloodstream with THC is the pipe. This humble design originated thousands of years ago, and the general mechanism has withstood the test of time. The steamroller pipe is an often overlooked—and very powerful—variation.
WHAT IS A STEAMROLLER PIPE?
Steamroller pipes look unusual. Sure, they’re pipe-shaped, but their similarities to more conventional pipes stop there. These devices look more like chillums in their design and offer a much harsher hit than most pipes on the market.
What sets steamroller pipes apart from other models is the position of the carb—an air hole that, when released, allows smokers to clear the bowl. In most pipes, the carb occupies the side of the bowl, with the bowl positioned at the end of the stem. Steamroller pipes go against the grain when it comes to pipe design. The large carb hole resides at the very end of the pipe, and the bowl is further up the stem.
The unconventional layout of this design results in huge hits and an instant high. Let’s discover exactly how these pipes work and why some stoners love them.
HOW DOES A STEAMROLLER PIPE WORK?
Steamroller pipes are primitive in nature. They’re one of the simplest ways to smoke weed. There’s no water, no electricity, and no thinking involved either. It’s as simple as lighting the bowl and unleashing the massive carb hole at the end.
It might sound exactly like how a pipe works, but there’s a big difference. The location and size of the carb hole turns a normal hit into a massive one. The gaping hole at the end of a steamroller pipe results in a resistance-free flow of air that penetrates deep into the lungs.
It’s easy to control the smoke intake from a normal pipe. The carb hole can be toyed with to clear the desired amount of smoke. This is much harder to do when hitting a steamroller pipe. They almost always take the smoker off guard. For this reason, they’re really not recommended for beginners.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A STEAMROLLER?
The harshness of steamroller hits might sound undesirable, but that’s exactly why so many smokers enjoy them. It’s a completely different way to inhale cannabis. They deliver an enormous amount of cannabinoids in a short window. This is precisely what a veteran smoker with a high tolerance needs.
Below, we’ll cover the benefits of using a steamroller pipe. Then, we’ll explore why sometimes they’re not the best option.
EASY TO USE
One of the best features of steamroller pipes is their simplicity. You don’t need to carry around water or rolling papers. All you need is a lighter and some good-quality bud.
EASY TO CLEAN
Most pipes are a hassle to clean. They require navigating all manner of nooks and crannies to remove every last speck of residue. Fortunately, cleaning is a piece of cake when using a steamroller pipe. Wide-open holes at each end make removing tar an easy task. Run some water through the pipe, give it a quick scrub, and you’re done!
YOU’LL USE LESS WEED
If you fail to clear a bong or pipe bowl properly, you’re going to lose some smoke. It’s not a huge deal, but results in you wasting more weed over time. When using a steamroller, every bit of smoke is fired straight into the lungs.
Because almost no smoke is lost, each hit is huge. It’s not just the amount, but how fast it enters the lungs. Smoking steamroller pipes is the equivalent of necking a shot when drinking. They’re the way to go if you’re looking for an instant high.
Of course, not everything about the steamroller pipe is sunshine and rainbows; these massive hits are made for experienced tokers.
Steamroller pipes aren’t for everyone, and most beginners won’t get along with them. The lungs take some time to adjust to joints alone. The harsh hits and intensity of the high just aren’t for some smokers.
Most steamrollers are forged from glass. They look beautiful, but are susceptible to breaking. Don’t expect to throw one in your bag and find it in one piece at the end of the day. If you plan on travelling with your steamroller, make sure it’s safe and snug in a case.
HOW TO USE A STEAMROLLER PIPE
So, now you’re aware of the pros and cons of this unique style of smoking apparatus. If it appeals to you, then it’s time to blaze! Strap yourself in and prepare for the hit of a lifetime.
- Pack the bowl with as much weed as you see fit.
- Cover the carb with one hand.
- Use the other hand to light the bowl and begin to inhale.
- Draw smoke up the pipe until it’s full.
- Remove your hand from the carb hole and inhale sharply.
- Enjoy the high!
READY FOR BIG HITS?
If you’re looking for heavy hits and an instant high, it’s time to add a steamroller pipe to your collection. The Royal Queen Seeds Steamroller is a simple design equipped with a comfortable mouthpiece and the RQS logo.
You've heard of bongs, dab rigs, vapes, chillums, and bubblers. But do you know what steamroller pipes are? Find out everything you need to know inside!
What is a steamroller pipe and how to use one
One of the oldest and most common ways to smoke weed is by using a pipe. Cannabis pipes have been around for ages and can be made from a variety of different materials including glass, metal, bamboo, wood, and stone. Pipes are usually separated by carb or non-carb, and water required or dry categories and for the most part, all function on the same principals when they are used. A marijuana steamroller is a uniquely designed and are just one type of pipe design.
What is a steamroller pipe?
A steamroller pipe is usually made of glass and is a carb equipped dry pipe. The reason it is different is mostly in where the carb is placed. In a traditional pipe, the carb will be located on the side of the bowl and controls the flow of air into the chamber. A marijuana steamroller’s carb is at the very end of the pipe which allows for a consistent resistant free flow of air.
How to hit a steamroller
The mechanic behind using a glass steamroller pipe is similar to that of any other pipe. The most significant difference will be that the hit will go directly into your lungs making it more difficult to inhale as much as you might normally from a different design. Pack the bowl as usual and hold the steamroller with one finger covering the open end closest to the bowl. If this is your first time using a glass steamroller pipe then cornering the bowl is recommended as it will burn less herb and give you a chance to adjust to the differences more comfortably. Place a flame toward the edge of the bowl and inhale slowly, removing your finger from the carb before you are done to empty the chamber.
The pros and cons of using a marijuana steamroller
A glass steamroller pipe comes with both benefits and drawbacks depending on individual preference.
1. Conserves weed – Since the smoke produced by a marijuana steamroller is so direct, you won’t need to smoke nearly as much to get high.
2. No water required – Use on the go with absolutely no need to carry or find water as it functions completely dry.
3. Easy to clean – Since a steamroller pipe is essentially a tube that has two complete openings with a bit of effort and a few Q-tips a full cleaning can be done within minutes. The glass material also allows you the ability to use any cleaner of your choosing since it won’t absorb or be damaged by any regular pipe cleaner.
4. Preserves flavor – Glass is one of the best materials for preserving the full flavor of the terpenes present in a strain of cannabis. As long as it’s keptin a clean condition, you will get a good clean haul every time with no metallic aftertaste.
5. Massive hits – A marijuana steamroller is designed specifically for its ability to produce large clouds of smoke that are delivered in the most direct and intense way possible. This makes it easy to take tokes that are 2-3 times larger than most regular pipes.
1. Harsh hit – Since you achieve a more direct hit when using a marijuana steamroller, you will also experience a much harsherhit. There is nothing cooling the smoke down as it travels through the chamber and the large amount you can inhale off of just one toke can be a bit overwhelming for first-timeusers.
2. Breakable – A glass steamroller pipe is preferred over any other material however it does come with the downside of being breakable. While it is designed to be used on the go, it needs to be stored carefully during any type of transit, or it could break, and it doesn’t take much more than a small drop to shatter one completely.
3. Expensive – A steamroller seems like a pretty basic design, but its lack of popularity until recently can make them difficult to come by and a bit more expensive than your average pipe when you do see one. The frequency in which they break also adds to the overall expected cost of choosing a marijuana steamroller as your everyday smoking device.
Most pipes function on the same principals when they are used. A marijuana steamroller is a uniquely designed and are just one type of pipe design.