How To Make Cannabis Sugar
Cannabis sugar is the perfect way to liven up your favourite sweet treats. Here’s how to make it at home.
Cannabis has earned itself a special place in the kitchen. Whether you prefer to add it to sweet classics like brownies or savoury delicacies like butter chicken, there are countless ways to infuse your favourite dishes with a healthy dose of bud.
Until now, one of the most common ways to use weed in the kitchen was to incorporate infused butter or oil. But now, cannabis chefs have come up with a new way to cook with weed; cannabis sugar.
Here’s how to make it.
COOKING WITH WEED: SOME BASICS
Before we show you how to make cannabis sugar, it’s important to cover some basics on cooking with cannabis.
One of the most important steps to cooking with weed is decarboxylation. It basically involves baking weed at a low heat for roughly 35-40 minutes. This helps convert some of the THCA (basically an acidic, non-psychoactive compound found in live cannabis plant material) to THC, the active psychoactive compound that gets you stoned. After all, that’s why you’re here, right?
The most important factor for proper decarboxylation is heat. The heat essentially breaks down precursor THCA to THC. Whenever decarboxylating cannabis, make sure to keep your oven temperature at 120°C/250°F max. Any higher and you risk degrading THC and losing potency.
HOW TO MAKE WEED SUGAR
Weed sugar is the perfect way to liven up any of your favourite sweet recipes. Here’s how to make cannabis sugar at home.
- 3 grams cannabis
- 120ml high-proof alcohol, such as Everclear
- 100g granulated sugar
- Roughly grind/chop your weed to a coarse consistency. Spread it out on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake at 120°C/250°F for 35-40 minutes. Make sure your temperature never exceeds this limit.
- Reduce the oven heat to 93°C/200°F. Transfer your decarboxylated weed to a jar and cover with alcohol. Screw the lid on the jar, making sure it is tight and secure.
- Shake the jar every 5 minutes for 20 minutes total. Strain the liquid through some cheesecloth into a clean bowl. Discard the solid plant matter.
- Mix sugar into the strained alcohol solution. Spread evenly into a glass baking dish. Bake at 93°C/200°F, stirring regularly until the alcohol has evaporated and the sugar has a golden colour.
USING MARIJUANA SUGAR
You can use weed sugar like you would regular sugar. Here are some ideas on how to use cannabis sugar in your kitchen:
- Stir into coffee or your favourite tea
- Sweeten your morning porridge
- Make cannabis-infused syrup for cocktails and drinks
- Mix it with cinnamon and sprinkle on donuts or churros
- Use it to replace sugar in your favourite dessert recipes
Want to make cannabis sugar at home? It's simple. Here are some simple steps to making weed sugar in your home for a special kind of
- November 21, 2018
- / 9 Comments
- / cannabis edibles, cannabis edibles recipes, cannabis sugar, cannabis tincture, cannabis-sugar-recipes
What is cannabis sugar all about?
Try cannabis sugar (canna-sugar) for a gentle, calming high. For example, add your sativa blend sugar to your morning coffee. Need help getting to sleep? Try a soothing night-cap with an indica tincture. Canna-sugar is typically used as a condiment, as opposed to a base ingredient like cannabis butter. However, for a more potent high, swap out your regular sugar with weed infused sugar in any dessert recipe. Additionally, if the recipe already uses cannabis oil or cannabis butter, add a dose of canna- sugar to elevate further.
What pairs well with cannabis infused sugar?
Cannabis infused sugar is a novel way to add a dash of cannabis to your desserts, coffees, and cannabis teas. However, THC sugar has many more uses. Excitingly, you can flavor your weed sugar by adding different ingredients. Throw in a vanilla stick, orange zest, or even coffee beans to the final product. Also, we suggest adding culinary grade flowers like lavender and rosebuds. This creates an exquisite flavor with cannabis tea!
How else can I use canna-sugar?
Interestingly, cannasugar can be used to make an exciting scrub. Use your scrub to exfoliate for healthy looking skin and pores. Add your infused sugar to your favorite face mask recipe and soak up the benefits of THC. Try adding your weed infused sweetness to a homemade lip balm. This sugar will lightly flavor the lip balm while adding a hint of sweetness to the mix.
Let’s Get Cooking!
Your new THC sugar must be stored in a cool, dark, sealed container for long periods of time. Be sure to get your storage containers ready and allot for an appropriate space.
See our video and recipe below to learn how to make a tincture and cannabis infused sweetness.
If you are interested in understanding how to make more cannabis infusions and recipes. View our cannabis cookbook.
Cannabis sugar is one of the best ways to infuse edibles. Checkout this recipe on how to make cannabis sugar. Follow our video and recipe with ease!